Launched by The New York Times in 2019, The 1619 Project stands as a transformative historical endeavour, striving to retell the story of America through the prism of slavery and its enduring effects. It derives its name from the year 1619, marking the arrival of the first enslaved Africans on American soil, a seminal event often eclipsed in conventional historical narratives.
Where to Watch The 1619 Project Worldwide?
The 1619 Project is a complete season available to watch only on Hulu. If you reside outside of the US then you need a reliable VPN (Virtual Private Network) to access Hulu content and watch it hassle-free.
How to Watch The 1619 Project on Hulu | Easy Guide
Watching “The 1619 Project” on Hulu from outside the US can be a bit tricky due to geographical restrictions. However, with the right tools, it’s perfectly possible. Here’s an easy guide:
Following these steps, you can enjoy “The 1619 Project” on Hulu, no matter where you are in the world.
- Get ExpressVPN: To watch Hulu content from outside the US, you’ll need ExpressVPN. An ExpressVPN masks your actual location and makes it appear as if you’re browsing from the US.
- Install ExpressVPN: After choosing ExpressVPN, download and install it on your device. Make sure to select a US server when you connect to the VPN.
- Get a Hulu Subscription: Once your VPN is set and connected to a US server, head over to the Hulu website. You’ll need to subscribe to their services. Follow the prompts to sign up. You may need to provide a US address and payment details.
- Start Watching The 1619 Project: With your VPN connected and your Hulu subscription active, you’re all set to watch “The 1619 Project.” Simply log in to your Hulu account, search for “The 1619 Project,” and start streaming!
Remember to keep your VPN connected to a US server while you’re watching, as disconnecting it might lead to Hulu becoming inaccessible again.
Watch The 1619 Project on Hulu in 4 Easy Steps | Detailed Explanation
The 1619 Project is available on Hulu, but only in the US. You might not be able to find it in your region, as The 1619 Project cannot be broadcast on Hulu in your country due to licensing restrictions. But don’t worry, in this blog, you’ll learn how to stream the show in four simple steps.
To watch The 1619 Project, you need an Express VPN subscription, as this VPN is tested and highly recommended. Below is an easy step-by-step guide for streaming The 1619 Project on Hulu worldwide:
1- Get Express VPN for Hulu
You need a VPN to change your region and stream The 1619 Project on Hulu. Express VPN often offers promotional deals, such as getting three extra months free with their annual plan. A single Express VPN subscription simultaneously supports six devices and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
2- Download the Express VPN app on your device
Express VPN supports almost all devices, including iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, Linux, and more. You can also use Express VPN on your smart TV or gaming consoles using their smart DNS.
3- Connect to a US Server
After downloading the Express VPN app, connect to a US server from the country list. Since The 1619 Project is available on Hulu, you need a US IP address to access Hulu and watch The 1619 Project.
After connecting to a US server, open Hulu in your browser or in-app and search for The 1619 Project Now you can stream and enjoy.
Note: We have also tested NordVPN to watch The 1619 Project on Hulu and it worked perfectly.
The Most Extensive Server Network VPN Option for Accessing Hulu from Worldwide
Comprehensive Review of NordVPN: Global Network, Speed, Security, Device Compatibility, and Pricing
As you may have already guessed, NordVPN is a VPN service provider with the largest network of global servers in the world with more than 5500 servers in more than 60 countries, 440+ of which are US servers that will enable you to access Hulu. In the US hassle-free.
NordVPN provides you with the most solid online streaming experience compared to other VPN service providers with absolutely zero connectivity problems and its remarkable SmartPlay feature that combines VPN technology with Smart DNS, allowing NordVPN to bypass any streaming platform’s geo-restriction blocks smoothly.
While testing it out, we recorded a fantastic download speed of 86.18 Mbps and an upload speed of 42.13 Mbps. In terms of security, NordVPN is not falling short, packing a wide range of security features including, NordVPN has an impressive line-up of security and privacy options, including dedicated IP addresses, a kill switch that works automatically, over-the-counter encryption, and a strict no-logs policy.
NordVPN allows its users to connect to six devices simultaneously and can be easily accessed on Android and iOS devices, Linux, Mac, and Windows. Now talking about pricing, you can get a 2-year plan of NordVPN at USD 3.49 per month which is 5.3 AUD per month with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Visit the NordVPN website: Begin by navigating to the official NordVPN website.
- Choose a plan: NordVPN offers several different subscription plans. You can choose between a one-month, one-year, two-year, or three-year plan. The longer the subscription period, the more cost-effective the plan generally becomes.
- Create an account: After selecting your preferred subscription plan, you must create a NordVPN account. You’ll be asked for a valid email address, which will be used for communication and account recovery.
- Select your payment method: NordVPN accepts a variety of payment methods, including credit cards, cryptocurrency, and other online payment systems. Choose the one that’s most convenient for you.
- Complete the purchase: Follow the prompts to complete your purchase. Once your payment is processed, you can access the NordVPN service.
Features and Benefits
NordVPN offers a variety of features that make it appealing to users globally:
- Global Server Network: NordVPN boasts a network of over 5,000 servers spread across 59 countries. This means you can connect virtually anywhere in the world, accessing geo-restricted content or simply protecting your privacy.
- Strong Encryption: NordVPN uses AES-256 encryption, the same level of security used by many governments and military organisations, ensuring your data remains private and secure.
- No-logs Policy: As a Panama-based company, NordVPN operates under a strict no-logs policy. They do not track, collect, or share your private data.
- Double VPN: This feature routes your internet traffic through two servers instead of one, adding an extra layer of security.
- CyberSec: This feature blocks ads and protects you from entering malicious websites.
- Kill Switch: In case your VPN connection drops, the kill switch feature blocks your device from accessing the internet, ensuring your data is not exposed.
- P2P Sharing: NordVPN allows peer-to-peer file sharing, which is essential for torrenting.
Note: Remember, using a VPN is completely legal in the US. However, it’s essential to use it responsibly and not for any illegal activities.
Hulu, founded in 2007, is a top-tier streaming service lauded for its wide array of films, TV series, and unique programming, including popular shows like “The Good Doctor,” “How I Met Your Father,” and “Home Economics.” Based in the U.S., Hulu uniquely delivers episodes from major networks shortly after their initial broadcast, blending the traditional TV experience with the modern demands of on-demand viewing. With subscription plans ranging from ad-supported to ad-free, Hulu remains a popular choice among diverse audiences in the digital media market.
The 1619 Project – Official Trailer
The 1619 Project – Plot and Synopsis
The 1619 Project, initiated by The New York Times in 2019, is a comprehensive initiative aiming to reframe the history of the United States by placing the consequences of slavery and the contributions of Black Americans at the centre of the nation’s narrative. Named after the year the first African slaves were brought to the English colonies in North America, the project refocuses the American story from 1619 onwards.
Development and Purpose
The 1619 Project was developed by Nikole Hannah-Jones, a staff writer for The New York Times Magazine, along with several other contributors, including historians, journalists, and artists. The aim was not to rewrite history but rather to highlight and explore aspects of American history that have often been overlooked or underemphasized. By doing so, the project aimed to enrich the understanding of the deeply ingrained legacy of slavery and its profound and lasting impact on the U.S.
Content and Themes
The 1619 Project encompasses various forms of content, including essays, literary works, and visual arts, each tackling a different aspect of America’s history and society. The themes explored include the brutality of slavery, the persistent racial discrimination, and the undeniable influence of Black Americans on democracy, culture, and economy.
- Slavery’s Brutality: The project doesn’t shy away from revealing the harsh realities of slavery, showcasing its inhumane conditions and the systematic dehumanization of enslaved people.
- Enduring Racial Discrimination: It discusses the persistent racial disparities in various American institutions, such as education, healthcare, and criminal justice, emphasizing how these disparities are directly linked to the legacy of slavery and institutional racism.
- Black Americans’ Influence: The project also sheds light on the significant contributions of Black Americans in shaping the country’s democracy, culture, and economy, arguing that these influences often go unrecognized.
Reception and Criticism
The 1619 Project was met with widespread acclaim and recognition, including winning the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary in 2020 for Hannah-Jones’ introductory essay. It has been praised for its innovative approach to presenting history, its storytelling techniques, and its inclusivity of often-neglected narratives.
However, the project has also faced criticism, primarily from some historians and political commentators who dispute its accuracy and approach to history. Critics argue that it overemphasizes the role of slavery in shaping the United States, or that it offers a too pessimistic view of American history.
Legacy and Impact
Despite the controversy, The 1619 Project has made a significant impact, prompting nationwide conversations about race, history, and the enduring legacy of slavery. The project has been adopted in some school curriculums and has inspired similar initiatives, emphasizing the value of understanding history from multiple perspectives. It underscores the importance of acknowledging all facets of America’s past, including its uncomfortable truths, in the pursuit of a more equitable future.
The 1619 Project – Cast and Characters
- Nikole Hannah-Jones
Heading The 1619 Project is Nikole Hannah-Jones, a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and MacArthur Fellowship recipient. Renowned for her investigative reporting on racial injustice and segregation in American schools, Hannah-Jones crafted the Project’s concept and its introductory essay. Outside of The 1619 Project, she’s an acclaimed staff writer for The New York Times Magazine and has made guest appearances on popular news shows like CBS This Morning.
- Matthew Desmond
Matthew Desmond, another key contributor to The 1619 Project, is a sociology professor at Princeton University. He authored a powerful essay on capitalism and slavery for the project. Desmond is most renowned for his book “Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City,” which won the 2017 Pulitzer Prize for General Nonfiction. His work focuses on issues of poverty, housing insecurity, and racial inequality.
- Linda Villarosa
An expert in health reporting, Linda Villarosa contributed an insightful essay to The 1619 Project on the racial disparities in American healthcare. Villarosa is a contributing writer to The New York Times Magazine and teaches journalism at the City College of New York. Her most famous works include “Body & Soul: The Black Women’s Guide to Physical Health and Emotional Well-being” and several cover stories on race and health for The New York Times Magazine.
- Bryan Stevenson
Bryan Stevenson, a well-known lawyer and social justice activist, contributed an essay examining the racial bias of the criminal justice system. Stevenson is the founder of the Equal Justice Initiative and author of the critically acclaimed memoir, “Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption,” which was adapted into a successful Hollywood movie “Just Mercy” in 2019, with Michael B. Jordan portraying Stevenson.
- Trymaine Lee
Trymaine Lee, an MSNBC correspondent and an Emmy Award-winning journalist, penned an essay on sugar and slavery for the project. Lee’s reporting has covered critical issues like Hurricane Katrina, the Flint Water Crisis, and police violence, earning him significant acclaim.
- Yaa Gyasi
Celebrated author Yaa Gyasi lent her fiction writing talent to The 1619 Project with a piece titled “On Being Black and ‘Free.'” Gyasi is best known for her debut novel “Homegoing,” which earned her the National Book Critics Circle’s John Leonard Award for best first book and the PEN/Hemingway Award for first book of Fiction.
Other cast members of The 1619 Project are listed below:
- Wesley Morris
- Jamelle Bouie
- Tiya Miles
- Jeneen Interlandi
- Khalil Gibran Muhammad
- Martha S. Jones
- Kevin M. Kruse
- Ibram X. Kendi
- Jesmyn Ward
- Barry Jenkins
- Claudia Rankine
- Darryl Pinckney
- Jason Reynolds
- Reginald Dwayne Betts
- Camille T. Dungy
- Eve L. Ewing
- Yusef Komunyakaa
- Tyehimba Jess
- Yaa Gyasi
- ZZ Packer
What Else can you watch?
- Attack on Titan
- There Will Be Blood
- Parasyte -the Maxim
- The Walking Dead
- Spirited Away
- The Wolf of Wall Street
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
The 1619 Project is more than a collection of articles and creative works; it’s a reframing of American history that prompts critical reflection on the nation’s past and present. Exploring the impact of slavery and the contributions of Black Americans invites readers to gain a fuller, more nuanced understanding of the complexity of the United States’ history and its enduring implications today.
Our team are on a continuous testing task with ExpressVPN and NordVPN excellent for streaming Hulu content like “The 1619 Project” in Australia, Canada and the US. We highly recommend these reliable VPN services for a seamless streaming experience. Enjoy the series!